Monday, March 22, 2010

Reader Challenge




I'm going to get personal here so bear with me. I have NEVER felt pretty. I never thought I was good looking. I think I'm average. I'm not repulsive but I would never list my looks as an asset. Until I did this exercise. I have already mentioned Sal of Already Pretty but I'm going to rave about her some more. She makes it her quest to alter people's perceptions of themselves, which I think is desperately needed by many people. She does this not by just saying "you're perfect the way you are" but rather by approaching the subject intellectually. She provides exercises along with anecdotes and inspirational thoughts and this is one of my favorite posts she's ever done.

I did this exercise and do you know what I found? A ton of positives. Like almost all of my attributes were ones I considered assets. It literally blew my mind! I had two or three negatives but those few drastically color my whole perspective. I still don't think I'm your stereotypical knockout but if my list was 80% positive, I can't be the troll I make myself out to be.

So I challenge you to do this. Maybe you will find you are harping on a few minor things you consider flaws. Even then, what you see as a flaw may not be considered such by others. I have major body image issues but that is my body and I bet she made bank as a model.

If you are feeling a need for more help in this department here is another great post of Sal's.

1 comment:

  1. Hrmm. That's interesting, I had 80% negative attributes. All of my reasoning was pretty logical, too. Ah well, I'm glad it was a help to you. Every woman deserves to feel beautiful.

    The appearance of this blog is phenomenal, by the way.

    ReplyDelete