Monday, March 29, 2010

Face Shape

I love my hair the length it is now. It's short enough that the waves aren't pulled straight but long enough to be full and wavy. It feels like mermaid hair. However, I will be sacrificing this mermaid hair to Locks of Love at the beginning of this summer once it grows out. Right now I have about 4" to go until I can cut it and still have long enough hair I'll be comfortable with. My next post will be showing possible hair styles but I thought I'd start with studying my face shape.

I'm essentially stealing this from Inside Out Style's articles here and here and just applying it myself so you should definitely check out her blog for more information.

First I took a picture with my hair pulled back off my face. It's awful but necessary:



















Then I imported this photo into a program called Vectorworks, which I use for lighting design but had the tools necessary to complete the rest of this project.

First I drew a line from top to bottom at the longest part of my face and from left to right at the widest part and measured.



I found that the length of my face is 1.57 times the width. So I have a long face.














Then I tried lining up some popular face shapes against mine.



Circle: definitely not
Rectangle: getting closer
Oval: DING DING DING!

My face is a perfect oval.











Next I created a grid with the horizontal lines being marked by the length of my nose and the vertical lines down the center and either side of my face. This was to see how evenly spaced my facial features are.



Again we see that my face is very long. Average is three noses long and I clearly exceed this. Other than that, I have very large cheeks with small features. To help my eyes stand out I will probably want to keep my bangs and adding width to my hair style will help balance out my cheeks.












I will post some ideas for new haircuts soon. In the meantime, if anyone wants me to look at their face shape, I'd love to. Just let me know and I'll tell you what email to send it to.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I would love it if you would do my faceshape for me. I have never bothered to really figure it out and as a result am never quite sure what to do with my hair and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete