Saturday, April 3, 2010

What I do for a living...and sexy ladders

So I haven't really introduced my career. I've alluded to it and maybe people have picked up on it but I thought I'd give you a full explanation. I am a theatrical lighting designer and design assistant. When you go to see a play, there has to be light on stage so you can see, but it gets far more complicated than that. There are colors and angles. Is it indoors or outdoors? Is the light coming from a lamp or the sun? Is it winter or summer? Do they live in Florida or Seattle? We also get to be tricky and manipulative and make you look to a specific place on stage without you thinking about it. Or we can make you feel nervous and uneasy just by making the shadows bigger. It's art, psychology, physics, and guesswork all rolled into one. Here are some pictures:


This is from my coup de gras in college. A play called Crave by Sarah Kane.





















This is from a play called Whiteout by Nick Stokes. The character is looking out a hotel window into a snow storm and it's all a little surreal and over the top.








This is from a play called City of Crooked Teeth. It takes place in a magical underground word and the female character is showing the male character how she can make the rocks glow.




This last picture is not from a show I designed but a show I am assisting on. We just started today and I thought this was the prettiest thing so I took pictures then got the idea for the post.



I apologize for the blur. I was in a rush and it was dark but is that not THE SEXIEST LADDER YOU HAVE EVER SEEN?!


I love light.